Copy one of Van Gogh’s designs in your sketchbook.
Begin with a still life that contains textural objects
Consider unusual angles
Art 3/AP Textural Still Life
You will create a drawing with “sharpie” markers in which you will:
- create studies of all the still lifes in your sketchbook. (Min. 3) The studies will show evidence of thinking on composition and choosing unusual viewing angles.
- choose the best study and create a modified contour line drawing on 12×18 paper, held vertically or horizontally.
- with pencil, block in, lightly, all ellipses and placements of objects (Do this quickly. No detail.)
- create a detailed modified contour drawing from observation. Note: 1/2 border around finished drawing, name and date on BACK.
- Add a balanced range of values (light/dark) using textural mark-making.
Use the “Inking Techniques” handouts for ideas of making patterns of value. Think contrasts and 1/3 black, 1/3 gray, and 1/3 white.
- hand in the assignment finished, pencil lines erased, with your studies and assessment
On the Back of this sheet, write honestly about how well you think that you have fulfilled the requirements for this piece. Please be specific and succinct in answering these questions.
- Were you successful in blocking in the large shapes quickly in pencil first and then using true contour lines to draw you still life?
- Did you compose your drawing so that it filled the page, touched at least three borders, and presented the viewer with an unusual viewing angle?
- Is your drawing balanced, with carefully considered contrast, between 1/3 black, 1/3 gray, and 1/3 white?
- Are your gray areas carefully and thoughtfully rendered?
- Did you try anything risky and/or creative in your drawing?
- Was there anything else you considered in creating this drawing?
- What grade do you think you deserve for this drawing?