- Beginning in 2019-20, the AP Art and Design portfolios will each consist of two sections. With the elimination of the Range of Approaches (Breadth) section of the current portfolios, students can focus on in-depth, inquiry-based art and design making; on skillful synthesis of materials, processes, and ideas; and on articulating information about their work.
- Sustained Investigation – digital images | 60% of portfolio score. Students will submit images and writing to document their inquiry-guided investigation through practice, experimentation, and revision:
- A minimum of 15 digital images that include works of art and design and process documentation.
- Typed responses to prompts, providing information about the questions that guided their investigation and how they practiced, experimented, and revised, guided by their questions.
- Selected Works – actual works | 40% of portfolio score. Students will submit works of art and design and writing to demonstrate skillful synthesis of materials, processes, and ideas:
- 5 physical works or high-quality reproductions of physical works with written responses on paper describing the materials, processes, and ideas used.
- Works may come from the Sustained Investigation section, but they do not have to.