- Define the Problem:(write it, along with the parameters at the top of your page)
You are challenged to create a work of art that is a representation of a personal dream or nightmare to achieve an interesting and unique artwork.
a. you must demonstrate your understanding of value and the illusion of depth/space: be aware of value (things get lighter as they recede), overlapping, perspective (things get smaller as they recede).
b. you must think of a way to visually represent your dream or nightmare
c. you may use graphite, charcoal, pen and ink or colored pencil2. Brainstorm
- Look at terra forma cards that look interesting to you while thinking about your dreams and nightmares, choose key words
- Choose at least 2 topics that you feel strongly about
- Create a simple mind map using free association and borrowed ideas
- Choose one of the five Terra Forma sentences and write it in your sketchbook (your process will be value and your media will be graphite, charcoal, pen and ink, or colored pencil.
- Make a Decision
- Choose which images or symbols have the greatest resonance (powerful meaning) within you.
- Collect References
- Begin looking for references that are related to your subject matter.
(These can be realistic, cartoons, videos, music, text, and movies)
- Begin looking for references that are related to your artistic style.
(Look for artists that you admire, look at colors, shapes, ideas and style)
5. Refine your References
- Choose the references that you will use in your work, and print or make them easily accessible
- Start exploring what you will do and what it will look like
- Make at least 4 sketches
- Make notes
- Include media and technique explorations
- Make a Decision
- Choose your best ideas and get ready to create!
Rubric: (this homework is worth a project grade)
Did you: (10 points for each)
- choose key words about your dreams and nightmares and write them in your sketchbook?
- choose at least 2 topics from the Terra Forma cards and write one of the sentences in your sketchbook?
- create a simple mind map using free association and borrowed ideas and draw it in your sketchbook?
- make at least 4 sketches?
- demonstrate your understanding the illusion of depth/space using value (things get lighter as they recede)?
- demonstrate your understanding of using overlapping (some things are on top of another, hiding parts of the things behind)?
- demonstrate your understanding of using perspective (things get smaller as they recede)?
- choose graphite, charcoal, pen and ink or colored pencil?
- create a finished piece of art (using all of the page with strong value) about your dreams and nightmares?
- turn your sketchbook in on Tuesday, October 4th?